Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Ceramic Demonstration

I am enrolled in a ceramics wood fire class at Pottery Northwest this fall. This will be my fifth pottery / ceramic class I have taken, and I am enjoying them immensely. Usually we will have more then one kiln firing during a class, but because the wood kiln we will be using takes 50+ hours to fire, we will only be doing one firing.

Pottery Northwest has electric kilns, reduction gas kilns and a couple of soda kilns. No wood fire kilns, so this means we will be using Al Tennant's kiln. Al lives out on Whidbey Island and has been been a ceramic artist and teacher for a long time now.

In our class last night, Al, gave us a slide show and did a couple of demonstrations. Both of which were great to see. Luckily enough I had my camera with me last night and I was able to take a few photos of Al throwing some vessels and tea bowls. Al throws in a loose manner that has meaning and direction backed up by many years of throwing experience. Very fun and inspirational to watch.

No comments: