Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Forged part 4

The series continues after a little web-blogging lag. This piece came about with the thought, what happens when you combine some of your favorite past-times. I was at the California State fair in 1994 or 1995 thinking about what to make next. When I was hit with inspiration, why not tie a fly!

I have been fly fishing and tying flies since a wee little boy. It is one of my favorite past times. My cousin and I used to sit around at the cabin tying the fly that was going to land that huge trout. Well, he never got to make one of these big flies.

These steel flies started out very simple and then I started to get requests. The one pictured here is an Adams pattern. But I have made royal coachman, basic dry fly patterns and a lot of hooks. I kick myself for not pursueing the creation of these steel flies. But maybe when I have my blacksmith shop setup again and can start tying some more flies.

No comments: